Monday, June 8, 2009

Here Goes

So this is my first post on the blog. The purpose of the blog is not only to keep my friends and family updated on what I am doing in the Peace Corps in Mongolia but also to correspond with readers and keep in touch as best as possible. I recently spoke with a great guy who is serving in the Peace Corps in Mongolia now and he said a blog was a very good idea. So here goes...

I thought long and hard about the title of this blog. Most blog titles seem pretty lame to me and I wanted one that wouldn't be cheesy. This one might be admittedly a little cheesy but I kinda liked it. I wanted something that would call to mind what I am doing- pushing out and moving away; it is a title that I hope suggests motion and rising to a new challenge. Also, for those who don't know, Mongolia is pretty famous for its steppes- sweeping grassy plateaus that take up much of the country. I might not be stationed on the steppes or anywhere near them for that matter but I don't really know where I'll be so the guess that I'll be on the steppes is as good as any. Hopefully this title is evocative and symbolic for this coming expierence.

With that having been said, my hope is to step to this new life with optimism and vigor. I know it won't be easy and I've heard often that the Peace Corps is the best of times and the worst of times for the Volunteers. But knowing that I yearn to make the best of it and try my hand at this challenge. Hopefully I'll do a good job of conveying the coming events to the readers of this blog (feed back would be sooooo appreciated!). I'm off to Mongolia on Thursday. So here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment